Today, the 10th of May, 13 members of the group travelled to Almondell Country Park, West Lothian to walk the Lin's Mill Loop, a round trip of 4 miles. We proceeded via the Visitor Centre, across the suspension bridge, over the River Almond to follow the footpath by the canal feeder and encountered stiles on the way. Illieston Castle was visible to our left. this was the ancient hunting seat of James 11 and James 1V. We climbed out of the wooded area to the Union Canal and the Aqueduct where splendid views to north and south were had. The canal opened in 1822 after 4 years of construction, and is used for boating, fishing, walking and biking. We left the towpath, a short distance from the aqueduct to take the minor road to pass Muirhead Cottage and Lookaboutye Farm before turning into the road to the park.
The Wallace stone is found in this vicinity and was erected in memory of William Wallace by the 11th Earl of Buchan. The next stop was Craigie's farm, perched on a hill midway between Kirkliston and Sth Queensferry, where refreshment was taken in pleasant surroundings accompanied by pleasant views down the River Forth. Altogether a most enjoyable outing.